Jerome F. Buting
Criminal defense law practice focused primarily on defense of serious and complex criminal offenses, both state and federal, trial and appeal. Homicides, sexual assaults, vehicular homicides, drug offenses, white collar, wrongful convictions, Expertise in DNA and other forensic sciences. Defense of liberty and constitutional rights in all cases. Many high profiles cases handled discreetly. Designated as Super Lawyer from 2006 through 2019.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law 95%
- Homicides and Violent Crimes
- Sex Offenses
- Drug Offenses
- Child Pornography
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Juvenile Offenses
- Wrongful Convictions
- False Confessions and Illegal Searches
- DNA & Computer Evidence
- Domestic Violence
- Drunk Driving
- Wisconsin, 1981
- District of Columbia, 1982
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1992
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1981
- Honors: cum laude
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1978
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- State v. Schaefer, 308 Wis.2d 279, 746 N.W.2d 457, 2008 WI 25 , 2008, Wis. Supreme Ct
- United States v. Muhammad, 502 F.3d 646 , 2007, 7th Cir
- State v. Armstrong, 283 Wis.2d 689, 700 N.W.2d 98, 2005 WI 119, 2005, Wis Supreme Ct
- Bertrand v. Oswald, 374 F.3d 475 , 2004, 7th Cir
- State v. Brienzo, 267 Wis.2d 349, 2003, Wis. Ct App
- State ex rel Tate v. Schwartz, 257 Wis.2d 40, 654 N.W.2d 438 , 2002, Wis. Supreme Ct
- State v. Agnello, 226 Wis.2d 164, 593 N.W.2d 427 , 1999, Wis. Supreme Court
- FREQUENT LECTURER ON DNA, COMPUTER CRIMES AND OTHER FORENSIC EVIDENCE.
- 2014 National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers, Las Vegas, "The Trouble With Torrents: Beating Back the File Sharing Child Porn Cases"
- 2014 Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Just A Touch: DNA Transfers and Other New Developments in Forensic DNA"
- 2012 Alaska Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Defense Use of DNA: Make It Work"
- 2012 Annual Criminal Defense Conference, "Cross Examination in Ineffective Assistance Challenge"
- 2011 Wisconsin State Public Defender, "Hot Topics for Appellate Litigation"
- 2010 Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, "Whatever Happened to the Science in Forensic Science?"
- 2008 Wisconsin State Public Defender, "Defending DNA Cases"
- 2008 Wisconsin State Bar Annual Convention, "Discovery Opportunities in Sex Offense Cases."
- 2006-2005 State Bar Annual Convention
Honors and Awards
- Designated as Super Lawyer, 2006 through 2019
- Recipient of the 2001 David Niblack Award by the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. This award is presented to individuals, "For standing with the indigent in their times of need and thereby protecting the rights of us all."
- Recipient of the John Jay College 2016 Fierce Advocate Award. This award is bestowed on individuals who have shown "outstanding leadership in the pursuit of justice" for the advocacy on behalf of Steven Avery, chronicled in the series "Making a Murderer."
- Recipient of the 2017 Champion of Justice Legal Award from the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. This award is bestowed upon individuals who have staunchly preserved or defended the constitutional rights of American citizens and have fought to ensure justice and due process for persons accused of crime.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 1982
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors, 1990 to 1992
- American Bar Association, Member, 1982
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member, 1981
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Criminal Law Section, Board of Directors, 1998 to 2018
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Criminal Law Section, Chair, 2005 to 2007
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, President, 1990 to 1991