Choosing The Right Lawyer
If you are reading this post, you or a member of your family is probably in trouble with the law and looking for the right lawyer to help you fight the charges. Most people in this position are frightened at the idea of going to jail or prison, confused about the legal process and don’t have a clue about how to select a lawyer. Look for the following when you choose a lawyer:
1. Experience: You want to find a lawyer who has years of experience handling criminal cases and who understands the law, the court system, and the people in the system so that they know how to capitalize on every weakness in the government’s case, both factual and legal. Our lawyers each have over 30 years experience providing skilled and aggressive representation to people charged with every type of crime.
2. Preparation: The lawyer you choose should prepare every case as if it is the only case they have. There is no substitute for preparation. Your lawyer should spend time interviewing you and your family, obtaining all the records and reports, researching all the legal issues and thinking about the case and how all the pieces fit together. This is true whether you plan to have a trial or you want to negotiate a plea. Our lawyers take pride in the thorough preparation and creative thinking that leads to a successful outcome for our clients.
3. Time Devoted to Your Case: The lawyer you select for this critical moment in your life must be prepared to devote the time needed to thoroughly prepare your case and address your concerns. If a lawyer has a high volume of cases, he or she may not have the time to devote to yours. Our lawyers deliberately keep our caseloads at a level that permits a high degree of service to our clients.
4. Responsiveness: This is probably the most difficult time of your life. You need lawyers who will communicate with you. They must be there when you need them, return phone calls promptly, keep you informed, and carefully and timely inform you about your options. Our lawyers return their calls promptly and can be reached day or night in the event of an emergency.
5. Respect: In this crisis, you want to have lawyers who are respected by judges, prosecutors and other lawyers . Look for lawyers who have been selected by their peers for leadership roles in professional organizations, who have been recognized as the best lawyers in the area, and who train and teach other lawyers. Our lawyers have been selected many times as SuperLawyers, have been elected by their peers to serve in leadership positions in the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Wisconsin State Bar Criminal Law Section, have lectured around the state and nationally, and are called upon by the media to help explain legal issues.
Finally, this is one of the most critical decisions you may make in your life. Make sure you are comfortable with the law firm that you choose. Referrals from friends, family and other lawyers are a great place to start. But meet the lawyers with a list of questions and see how you feel about trusting your future or that of your loved one to their care. We welcome a chance to discuss your case and are confident that we have the expertise and dedication to our clients that will make a difference for you.